Customizing your upholstered furniture gives your home a more personalized look that's made for you.
When it comes to ordering customized upholstered furniture for your home, there’s a couple things to consider. First, you need to choose the size and style of your piece, then you need to select upholstery that matches the design of your furniture and the space it will be in—as well as your lifestyle. Our wide range of fabric and leather options allow you to create a personalized look for your home. Whether you are looking for a casual sofa, a sectional for the family living room, or a sleek new lounge chair for your home office, both durability and aesthetics are key. In this guide, we’ll share everything you need to know to about upholstery to help you make your selection—and start customizing your furniture.
Handcrafted from domestic hardwood frames that are certified to the Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (SFI) standards, our upholstered furniture collections are assembled in the USA and designed for comfort.
Fabric is a classic option. Depending on the look you’re going for, we have a wide variety of fabric types to choose from. If you're aiming for a more casual look and feel, linens and twills are a great start. For a more elevated look, velvet always brings a touch of luxury.
- Linen: A naturally woven fiber made from flax, linen is breathable, comfortable, durable, and beautiful.
- Boucle: Woven from looped yarns, boucle fabrics offer texture, depth, and are versatile for any style of furniture.
- Microsuede: Durable and stain-resistant, microsuede gives you the same look and feel as suede leather without the maintenance.
- Twill: A polyester blend that’s soft yet durable, twill is family-friendly option and one of our most popular fabrics for frequently used furniture.
- Tweed: With a thick weave that offers lots of texture and traditional style, tweed looks great in both vibrant and neutral hues.
- Crossweave: A strong, textured fabric blend that wears well and is easy to clean.
- Dobby: Flexible and versatile, dobby fabrics provide texture with their small geometric patterns, yet remain lightweight.
Choose from our range of 50 premium fabric and leather options.
Project Tip: Need help deciding what fabric or leather will look best in your space? Request free swatches—you can choose up to 10 swatches and we’ll ship them directly to your home.
Design Tip: Our Wrenton and Sublimity Furniture Collections feature several styles and configurations—perfect for designing a lounge-worthy living room. If you want a custom look without the wait, we always offer a great variety of in-stock upholstered furniture to choose from.
Many of our collections offer several configurations—chat with our Design Crew for help planning your space.
When choosing fabric upholstery, be sure to factor in your family, pets, and how much you entertain. Performance fabrics are ideal for everyday use. Made from resilient or stain-resistant materials, performance fabrics typically boast high-abrasion ratings—resisting rips and tears. Plus, they are easy to clean.
Our selection includes:
- Performance Chenille: A true performance fabric that's soft, cozy, and textured with the durability to handle any household.
- Performance Flannel: With a performance-level fabric rating, our flannel offers the best of both worlds: timeless durability and an ultra-soft, luxurious feel. Our flannel can be spot cleaned for easy care.
- Performance Boucle: Beautifully textured, our boucle offers the same looped construction and look with the durability of performance technology.
Design Tip: Dress up your sofa, sectional, or chair with colorful, patterned pillows. A few bright pillows can add personality to any space.
Few things can be as simultaneously luxurious and lived-in as leather. And leathers only get better with age—they gently patina over time, adding a layer of refinement and comfort that immediately makes you feel right at home.
Add contrast by mixing leather tones and prevent dark furniture from overpowering your space.
We partner with industry-leading leather experts that source the best hides to make sure your pieces will last a lifetime and beyond. All of our leathers are full-grain, aniline leathers, which is the highest standard of leather quality. For full-grain leathers, the original fibers of the leather are clear enough that no buffing or separating has occurred—the tanners use the entire thickness of the hide and do not alter the surface to achieve this look and feel.
Here are our top reasons to choose leather upholstery:
- Prized for its natural depth and longevity, leather is easy to clean and ultra-durable.
- Our 100% leather upholstery selection wears beautifully and will develop a rich patina over time.
- High-quality leather is carefully sourced from Italy, Thailand, and New Zealand and then tanned on large European bull hides.
- Pure aniline leathers are dyed exclusively with soluble dyes that penetrate the entire hide and saturate it with rich color, highlighting the inherent characteristics in each piece.
Create a modern heirloom that will last for years to come.
Leather is a natural product. We hand-select our hides specifically for each frame, and some may include small flaws and natural marks of character. Variation in color and texture are inherent to each hide; no two pieces are exactly alike. Leather will lighten, scuff, and soften to develop a rich patina over time.
Design Tip: Love the look of leather upholstery but don’t want to commit to it for every piece in your space? Add a statement leather chair that brings out the beauty of your home. Our best-selling Glenn Leather Recliner Chair in Pure Saddle is a great option; a Mid-Century-inspired design that features a beautiful solid walnut frame and adds an air of comfort and sophistication.